'Me Luna' Menstrual Cup Review

First things first - aka a little "Warning" ... ;)
Today's blog post will be for all my lady-readers - and it really is only for you girls (sorry guys!) as
I've recently became the proud owner of a 'Me Luna' Menstrual Cup. Menstrual Cups, according to the 'Me Luna' description are
"...small, pliable cup is simply folded and inserted into the vagina like a tampon, where it will then unfold itself and collect the menstrual flow."

Variations of Menstrual Cups have been around since the early 1900s and promise, in comparison to other monthly hygiene products,
to be more "... easy to use, practical, hygienic, environmentally friendly and offer a completely new feeling of independence."


'Me Luna' Menstrual Cup Set.
All Pictures property & ownership of https://www.me-luna.eu

Intrigued by their commercials - and aspiring a close to zero-waste lifestyle, I found one of them on offer
(8 EUR vs. RRP 15.90 EUR @dm.de) at my last visit to Germany.
It took me a while to actually try it out - as I wanted to use up my remaining tampons, but finally, here we go:
Welcome to my

'ME LUNA' MENSTRUAL CUP REVIEW

While this is a review on the 'Me Luna' Menstrual Cup specifically, it's worth mentioning that
many of the cups available on the market these days are of the same standards and have very similar customer feedback
e.g. 4 to 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.co.uk reviews for the majority of them...

Availability:
And whereas I can only speak for 'Me Luna', I feel that I can happily endorse for you to try any of the "big" names such as Intimina, Saalt, OrganiCup, Mooncup, Dutchess Cup etc., which are all easily found in well assorted drugstores as well as on Amazon.co.uk.

Price:
The cups come at a start price with as little as £5 - whereas the price may depend on size with some of them.
'Me Luna' has a current (Dec 2018) U.K. RRP between £12 (standard, small size) to £16 (with bag, large size) and
in a variation of colours (incl. a Glitter Edition!) as well as sizes & for 'special' anatomies (e.g. 'Me Luna' Shorty).
There really is one for any taste & shape!


'Me Luna' Menstrual Cup - Glitter Edition.
All Pictures property & ownership of https://www.me-luna.eu

Ease of Usage & Comfort:
Now, I must admit, it's a little bit like the "first tampon experience". It's either completely fuss-free, easy in & out
or an undergoing of half-an-hour fiddling around, thinking to yourself "how the hell am I gonna fit this properly" …
For me, it was the latter. I thoroughly read through the instructions (and can only recommend you to do so too!),
made sure to boil the kettle & soak the cup in hot water for 3 min. to ensure it's disinfected - and finally
tried to make decent placement in my vagina. They also have some additional tips for your first attempt on their webpage.

'Me Luna' placement advice.
All Pictures property & ownership of https://www.me-luna.eu

The medical compliant thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) material folds nicely and enters well (especially when it's
still a little wet!). However, once entered, it does not necessarily unfold to a cup again easily.
You might need to "push & shove" gently (!!!) with your fingers on the folded cup's sides to make it fit & unfold
- which can be a little difficult. It is definitely easier for seasoned tampon users I would say - rather than for
someone who's never entered a monthly hygiene product (or anything else for that matter! ;)) into their vaginal canal.
Once the cup is placed, it's comfortable and I won't feel it until I go to the toilet again.
I can move freely - similar to when a tampon is used. It's not constraining in any way and with it's small loop extension
on the bottom, very easy to pull out once full (check every 2-3 hours during the day & adhere to the instructions!).
I however also feel I need to mention that the cup creates (at least in my case) a little "vacuum", so pulling it
and trying to remove it, might feel slightly strange (due to the suction...) on your vaginal entrance before the cup
does what I can only describe as a "pop" and release. It's definitely something needing to get used to!

Verdict:
I've had the additional challenge / benefit of trialling the Menstrual Cup while travelling and can honestly say, it's great!
Once you know how to place it, it's really easy to use / insert as well as easy to remove, clean and re-enter.
Admittedly, it's not for the faint-hearted, there will be blood and it's a mess to clean - though easy enough, even with
only toilet paper (if no basin to hand!). I feel it's an amazing alternative to tampons, more environmentally friendly
as there's no trash to dispose of and you won't have to carry tampons with you (or fear running out of them!).
It can be used & re-used for many years, is made of durable but still comfortable material - and holds an incredible amount
of fluid (which I was quite sceptical about at first!).

All Pictures property & ownership of https://www.me-luna.eu
I can whole-heartedly recommend this product, it's a great alternative and I'll for sure be continue using it for years to come!

Have you tried a Menstrual Cup before? What's your verdict?


🍃 NAMASTE 🍃
with lots of love & light from your

Natural Vegan Gypsy