Go-To Hair Secrets

As mentioned in my Coconut Hair post, my hair-scapades 😉 have been quite intense over the 34 years
(yes, I’ve even been born with a big, black bunch of hair on my head!) dwelling on this planet.

I still enjoy colouring – although only with non-permanent & herbal dyes – as well as styling my hair, but thankfully
I’ve learned a lot about what my hair likes and dislikes over the years. Heat for example is one of the things that,
would my hair have a voice, make it sigh in agony. Let it be hot weather (Frizzle she becomes), the office heating (& we’ll go Puff-Fluff)
or heat-styling with a hair dryer / straightener (Hello Dry & Split Ends!), it certainly makes my locks suffer…


So, what are my 
4 Go-To Hair Secrets

to share with the world for a happy, long, lush mane?

1.) Put Your Conditioner First

There has been a big “rumour” in the beauty industry for some time: Add your intensive masks & conditioners BEFORE you use shampoo. Sounds crazy, right? It’s not at all though! I’ve been doing this for a while now and my hair has never been feeling
 so lush & light at the same time. Benefit of adding your mask / conditioner first and letting this soak in, before washing it out with
 a good shampoo, is that it won’t weigh your hair down (important for thin & coarse hair!) while still getting the
 nourishing advantages of your conditioner. Your hair will feel cleaner, lighter and easier to style.
I like to mix some coconut oil into the mask as well & let it “infuse” under a shower cap for 1+ hour. Give it a try!


2.) Invest in Vegan & Cruelty-Free Heat Protection

Heat is my hairs personal nemesis – while the rest of my body relies on it. This makes our relationship quite difficult. 
Well, it did until I discovered the wonder that is Heat Protection Spray! Superdrug’s very own Style Expertise Heat Spray is not
only cruelty-free & vegan but will ensure to “provide protection from heat damage through straightening and blow drying
 with Moringa and UV Absorber for help in protecting against sun damage.”
It’s excellent price for value (£2.99 for 300ml, which will last you 4-ever!) and adds a nice shine after styling!


3.) Oil Up Your Mane

I LOVE HAIR OIL. Seriously, I am obsessed. I may forget to pack my hair brush when travelling, but I’ll always have hair oil on me. It’s my No. 1 remedy for dull, frizzy and coarse locks. And you can use it in so many different ways! On a daily basis, I rub a couple of drops between my hands and massage it into the ends; at the end of the week, I add a big dollop of coconut oil to my scalp to prevent dry itchiness; and once per month I make my own hair-mask by mixing Argan oil with special conditioners. Especially Coconut oil is a multi-talent when it comes to health & beauty – and following the first recommendation to “Put Your Conditioner First”, Body Shop’s
 Coconut Oil Brilliantly Nourishing Pre-Shampoo Hair Oil is just the right stuff to “make locks stronger, smoother and softer.”


4.) Don’t Cut

I’ve got quite long hair and had the same basic cut for about 2 years now. I personally feel comfortable with my hair and have not had a professional hair cut in over 12 months. How has this affected my hair? Only in the best way I believe! 
I do try to give my hair as much hydration and nourishment as possible, which made cutting pretty much redundant for me… 
I don’t have any scientific evidence for this, but I feel that continuous cutting makes (at least my own) hair more prone to split, 
causes the ends to get brittle faster and generally more perceptive to environmental damage.
If you feel uncomfortable not cutting your hair or have a cut that needs continuous maintenance, 
this obviously won’t work for you, but if you happy to relax & let your hair grow out, give it a try and lay off these scissors for a while!


Let me know how you get on & what your personal top vegan and cruelty-free hair are!

🍃 NAMASTE 🍃
with lots of love & light from your

Natural Vegan Gypsy